Thursday, August 31, 2006

Lolly

OK, my cousin asked the question, so I will answer it for all.

Why is my mom called Lolly?

Here goes (someone correct me if I mess this story up, please). When mom and her sister (Susan Jane) were little, SJ couldn't say "Malinda" so she called my mom "Lolly." Mom hated this. When SJ got older and had kids of her own she told them the story and one of her kids adopted calling mom Lolly, just to be irritating. Well, by this time, mom had grown up and it was no longer irritating.

Fast Forward. Rachel is pregnant. Mom says she is too young to be a grandmother and refuses to be called any variation of grandma. I must say, we had quite a bit of fun calling her all sorts of g-ma names (Granny, g-ma, g-mamma, grandmamma, and the list goes on). She said if people her age (at her office, specifically) are having kids, she can't be a grandma. The whole thing turned into a joke as time went on and baby came closer. We asked what we were going to call her, "Mom's mom"?!? Well, that was just a mouth full, so we shortened that to "M's M." Then we decided that this one would get confusing and turn into "M&Ms." Then Tyler, being the goober he is, said that if we were going to do that, why not call her "Skittles." So for a little while she was skittles and we brought her many bags of skittles, just for giggles kicks.

Eventually someone, probably Amanda, suggested Lolly. Mom agreed that it was a good option and it stuck. So now we have Lolly.

She still insists that she is not a grandmother, the kids are her daughter's kids, but she isn't a grandmother (yeah, explain that one). Now, if she won't respond to you, just say "Lolly" and she will turn around as quick as can be. It is also helpful to call her Lolly in large crowds, because there is only one Lolly and lots of Moms, especially at family gatherings.

And now you have..... the rest of the story.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Cute name! Dallin started calling my mom Grammer b/c he could not say Grandma, and now everyone calls her that. And the same for my dad, Papa, although he got his name first. I think all the grandkids could say Papa first. PaPaPaPaPaPaPaPaPa. Even Owen and Elijah. My kids call me the perfect mom, their favorite parent! :) HeHeHe!